Having celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2018, Stellenbosch University is an institution with a rich and carefully cultivated history. Located in the picturesque town of Stellenbosch, which is within the Western Cape province of South Africa and nestled within the Boland Mountains, this university is one that is recognised internationally as an institution of academic excellence, and thus, is the university of choice for many South African students and international students alike. At Stellenbosch University, students are provided with the highest quality of education, which is why it has the highest rate of student success in the country.
While academics are what Stellenbosch University prides itself on, this is not the only thing. On top of being the highest-rated school in the country for the success of alums, it is also a school that is immersed in lively student life. As a residential campus, the student life is more than vibrant and there are always opportunities for growth, networking, and development. In fact, Stellenbosch University is a great encourager of personal growth amongst its students and has various programs designed to cultivate self-improvement, such as the Making A Decision 2 Make A Difference program. There are also the student associations and sporting codes, house committees, and MFM 92.6, Stellenbosch University’s community radio station. The main campus is the home to beautiful architecture, both modern and from over the past century, and is located approximately 50km from Cape Town. At Stellenbosch University, there are always opportunities for enrichment, the highest quality of learning, and socialisation.
At Stellenbosch University, prospective students can apply to programs within the following faculties:
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Medicine and Health Science
- Military Science
With such a wide variety of programs and disciplines, there is something for every student! Prospective Stellenbosch students have a lot to choose from, and it is definite that applying to and attending this institution will enrich your life.
In order to experience all Stellenbosch University has to offer, read ahead to learn how to apply.
How to apply:
The application is designed to be easy to navigate. However, there are certain things to keep in mind and certain dates to be mindful of. When applying, make sure that you have done your research on the programs you may be interested in. As this is a top-rated university, the acceptance for certain programs is competitive. As such, you are asked to choose three different programs that you may want to enrol in. What this means is, if you are not accepted to your first choice of program, you still have a chance to be accepted to your second or third choice – think of it as a safety blanket. All of their programs deliver quality education and wonderful opportunities, so it is with confidence that they expect you will find three programs that you are interested in. Further, different faculties at Stellenbosch University have different requirements, so these must be read up on as well to ensure there are no issues with your application process or the acceptance of your application. The specific requirements of the faculties can be found on their respective pages.
After reading up on the programs and specific faculty requirements, you should follow these steps to ensure a smooth application process:
For 0ffline Applications…
- While online applications are encouraged, there are also options for an offline application in the instance that an internet connection is not possible or stable. For an offline application, prospective students are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org, where the form can be accessed. You can also contact 021 808 9111 for the paper application form.
- Once this is received, you must fill out all of the required sections with accurate information. After you complete the required fields with the information, mail out your application along with the rest of the documents that are required. Keep in mind that this must be done prior to the university’s application closing dates in order to ensure that your application form is received and considered.
The form and other documentation can be mailed out to the following address: Stellenbosch University
c/o Banhoek Road & Joubert Street
- Note: this is the preferred method of application for Stellenbosch University. The online application process is the same for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- You must complete the online application form. The applications for the 2022 academic year will be opened on April 6th, 2021
- You will receive a username and an eight-digit password. Make sure to take note of these!
- Once the online application form is completed, you will be asked to submit this alongside the required documents.
Please note: If you submit both a paper copy and an online copy of the application form, only the online copy will be considered. Again, online application forms are the preferred method of submitting the application for Stellenbosch University.
Furthermore, if you have plans to live on residence, it is best to get this application in as soon as possible as there is limited space. Application forms can be found on their website.
In the next section, you will learn about the new Admissions Policy and what prospective Stellenbosch students are required to complete in order to apply.
All prospective students of Stellenbosch University must meet these requirements as per their new Admissions Policy:
- Stellenbosch University requires its students to have written the National Benchmark Test (NBTs). This test measures how academically prepared students are for university. There are different dates available to be booked, meaning you can choose when you will write the test – however, ensure this is done prior to the application deadlines, so you receive your results in time, as these need to be submitted alongside your application.
- For South African students, a National Senior Certificate is required. This must be certified by Umalusi with the specific requirements for admission to a Bachelor’s degree.
- For International students, final results are required from the International Curriculum (i.e. Cambridge International, International Baccalaureate, etc.)
- When applying, prospective students are also required to have a certified copy of their ID Document (South African students) or a copy of their passport (International students).
Please note: all uploaded documents must be in PDF or JPEG format. In the instance that pictures are being uploaded, such as when you submit a copy of your ID Document or passport, Stellenbosch University requires that the pictures be clear. It can take up to 10 days for your application to be processed but rest assured, all applications submitted before the closing date will be considered.
In order to learn more about the application submission dates, continue reading ahead.
Please note that application dates can vary according to the faculty and program that are being applied to. You can check the individual faculty pages for these dates, if applicable.
However, when applying, be sure to keep these general dates in mind:
- April 6th: Applications open for all programs
- May 3rd: Applications open for financial assistance at Stellenbosch University
- July 31st: Applications close for all undergraduate programs
- July 31st: Residence applications close
- August 31st: Applications close for Stellenbosch University financial assistance
In order for your application process to go smoothly, ensure that the required documents and applications are submitted as soon as possible.
To learn about the documents that are required for registration, keep reading.
Moving onto the application itself, as mentioned above, there are certain documents that prospective students will be asked to submit alongside their application form when applying to Stellenbosch University. These are as follows:
- Your signed contract
- Proof of payment of the application fee. For South African students, there is a fee of R100. For international students, this fee has been waived.
- Your academic results and NBT results. Academic results include your Grade 12 final results; if you are in Grade 11 and are applying, these grades are also required to be submitted.
- A student accommodations form
- Depending on the faculty, you will also be asked to submit the documents that they require – these are typically non-academic, but academic documents may be asked for as well. Again, refer to the individual pages of the respective faculties to learn of what these documents might be
Once all of this has been uploaded to Your Admission Status on MySun, you can track the status of your application on the same page.
If all of this is followed carefully, your application will be successfully considered. However, it is important to note that Stellenbosch University is a top-rated university, and as such, competitive admissions are to be expected. It is for this reason that you are asked to apply to at least three different programs.
If your application is considered successful, you will be contacted regarding the admission and next steps.
Stellenbosch University is a stellar school, and it is not a coincidence that its students have the highest success rates in the country following graduation. To attend Stellenbosch University is something to be proud of, and its campus, student life, various faculties, and self-improvement initiatives are sure to enrich your life. At Stellenbosch University, moving “forward together” is what they do.
Good luck with your applications!