The department of home affairs is an arm of the South African government which is in charge of the regulation of immigration, the promotion of development and the safeguarding of the identity of the citizens of South Africa. The department provides this list of services to its citizens.
The Department of Home Affairs has a goal to prevent fraud and identity theft by creating a Border Management Agency and National Identity System. The department also works towards simplifying the way through which skills can be brought into the country which will contribute to the growth of the country’s economy.
Home Affair General services
- Birth registration
- Reinsurance of birth certificates as well as marriage certificates
- Late Birth registration for learners (this can only be done the basis of an appointment)
- Registration of death
- Temporary identity certificate application
- Collection of identity cards or documents
- Marriage solemnisation and registration
- Application and collection of passports for those permitted to travel
- Application for travel documents for those who are permitted to travel (you are required to submit proof).
- Application for retention and renunciation of citizenship
- Processing of unabridged birth certificate
- Application for a first time ID card or document applications.
- All back-office amendment and document management services
- The department provides Visa services according to the immigration act.
- You can renew your refugee status and your asylum seeker permit or visa.
- The departments civics services:
The department has the following civic duties and renders these services to the general public.
- It maintains the national population register (NPR)
- It also manages the birth, marriage and death records
- It determines and grants citizenship.
- The department of home affairs also issues travel documents and passports
- It is responsible for issuing identity documents.
During the level three lockdown, the services of the department of home affairs were adjusted to accommodate the changes and needs of the public during that time. These services include:
- Refugee reception centres remain closed down during the lockdown.
- It conducts the registration of births as well as late registration of births (LRB).
- Re-issue of birth certificates.
- Registration of deaths.
- Issuance of temporary identity certificates (TICs).
- Issuing od smart ID cards and green ID book application for first time applicants only.
- Collection of smart ID cards and green ID books.
- Passport applications and collections.
- Registration of marriages.
- Retention and renunciation of citizenship.
- Provision of frontline services at ports of entry.
Every citizen is allowed to benefit from these services. If you would like to benefit from any of the services listed above, you are free to do so given that you meet the specified requirements for the application and process of those documents. Given the present state of affairs in the county and the world at large, these services may change or be updated, check the department of home affairs website for any changes in their services.
Read Also: How Do I Apply for a Job in Statistics SA?
You can as well contact the Department of home affairs through either of the contact information provided below.
Postal Private Bag X114, Pretoria, 0001
Physical Address: Hallmark Building, 230 Johannes Ramokhoase Street, Pretoria
Tel: 012 406 2500 / 0800 60 11 90
Fax: 086 512 7864