Situated in the heart of coastal Cape Town is South Africa’s largest post-secondary institution capping at over 32,000 students, The Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT). Offering a broad range of six different faculties and more than 80 undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The aspiring technology major is sure to find the education they are aiming towards here at CPUT.
Stunning naturalistic views of rugged mountain ranges and green foliage surround several of CPUT’s six campuses, making it the perfect residence to spend the duration of your university experience. Along with this, the university boasts a mission statement made of up four core values, including environmental sustainability, quality curriculum, vibrant environments, and effective research-based knowledge production.
In this article, you will learn the steps and guidelines for applying at CPUT and how you can become a valued student of a university that emphasizes placing excellence, equity and efficiency in the education that they provide.
How to Apply to CPUT
To apply at CPUT, there are a set of five easy steps you need to follow before you begin your application process, which are listed below. Applications to CPUT can be made either online or sent by paper copy to the Admissions Office. However, fees are only subject to paper applications at this time, meaning that online applications are completely free.
1. If you already have an idea of what you would like to be studying at CPUT, then the first step has already been completed for you. If not, choose from an expansive list of faculties ranging across Applied Sciences, Business and Management Services, Education, Engineering, Health and Wellness Sciences, and Informatics and Design.
Aside from its major faculties, CPUT also offers a variety of short courses on various fields of study, including, but not limited to, Computers, Clothing and Textiles, Language and Communication, Health and Wellness, and Media. If you are interested in taking a short course at CPUT, feel free to visit the university’s website to learn more.
2. Ensure that all of the necessary documents are ready before you begin applying and upload any remaining ones. More information about the specific requirements to be filled during the application process can be found later on in this article, or you may visit this page to learn more.
3. For online applicants, you will complete your application through an online portal that can be found on the university’s website. For more information about online applications, visit here. On the other hand, if you wish to complete your application manually, paper-copy applications can either be handed in or mailed to the campus where your desired program is offered.
4. Track the status of your application either by calling or by checking online using your Student number or your ID, passport, or asylum number.
5. If you desire to live on one of CPUT’s scenic campuses, your last step is to apply for residence. This can be indicated on the application form by ticking off the appropriate box and completing the separate residence application form on the back.
Read Also: Tracking CPUT Status And Prospectus
CPUT Application Dates
The closing date for applications for admission is 30 September, except where otherwise stated. No late applications from international students will be accepted except where otherwise stated. Applications for international students close on 31 August. These international applications must include the SAQA evaluation certificates.
A late application fee shall be payable for applications received after 30 September.
Applications Open: 13th May
31 July (certain programmes)
30 September (all other programmes)
Ensure that you complete and submit your application well before the deadline to make certain that you have all of your documents on hand, allowing you to rest easy. Luckily, the deadline has been extended to accept late submissions until all spots are filled. As of right now, however, the deadline for late 2022 applications has not yet been announced. If you plan on attending CPUT in 2022, submit yours as soon as possible and keep checking the university website for news and updates regarding the deadline.
As explained previously, when you are completing your application, you will need to have all of the necessary documents with you. Keep in mind that the documents are different for South-African citizens and non-South-African citizens.
For South African citizens, you will need the following:
- Proof of payment (if you chose to do a paper application).
- A certified copy of the first page of your Identity Document.
- A certified copy of your Senior Certificate or equivalent.
- An original Academic Record and a Certificate of Conduct (or other certified copies of other certificates/diplomas/degrees obtained from any other post-secondary institution).
- Any other documents required for the course you are applying to (you can find out which documents are required for your program in the application form and admission requirements).
As for international students and non-South-African citizens, the process of submitting your application is a tad more complicated. There are requirements that may be applicable to some and not to others. For instance, Permanent Residency applicants will need to submit a copy, no more than three months old, of their passport and proof of Permanent Residency/SA ID Document/Card. Others may need to submit a Refugee/Asylum seeker temporary permit/formal recognition of refugee status in the RSA.
Other requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A certified copy of your school-leaving certificate, coupled with an English translation.
- A scratch card (students from the West African Examination Council (WAEC) and National Examinations Council (NECO).
- Any other documents required for the course you are applying to.
For more information on the requirements for international students and non-South-African citizens, please see this page.
It is important to note that for those currently in Grade 12, you will need to submit your marks obtained in Grade 11 due to complications with the Grade 12 examinations as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown. Other than this, it is crucial that you take the time to study the requirements that are specific to you in your current situation to ensure that nothing is missing at the time you decide to submit your application.
After you have received your offer of admission from CPUT, you are finally ready to register yourself for classes in the semester you have applied for. Fortunately, this can be done fully online or off-campus.
The deadline for first-year students to register for the 2022 intake has passed, having taken place from 1 March 2022 to 12 March 2022. However, first-time postgraduates still have the opportunity to register until 31 March 2022. For returning postgraduates, you may register until 31 May 2022. Spots fill up quickly, so manage your time wisely.
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is a school dedicated to providing its students with an excellent education, support and successful career preparation. If you are looking to become one of the many students receiving quality and career-focused education, be sure to apply well in advance of the required deadline to ensure that your application is processed in time.
For further concerns and inquiries on applications and registration, feel free to call one of the designated numbers on this page, or kindly send an email to email@example.com.