Established in 1981, the Central University of Technology is located in Bloemfontein in the Free State, the heartland province of South Africa. With two campuses, the main one in Bloemfontein and the other in Welkom, this institution has much to offer.
They offer excellent academic opportunities in various fields, including STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), education, management sciences, and the humanities. As an institution at the forefront of education and innovation, they have over 21 000 students who have found it to be the school they needed to learn, shape, and hone in on the skills needed to succeed in both academic and professional environments.
The Central University of Technology (commonly referred to as CUT) is an institution that takes pride in its innovation and academic excellence standards. This can be seen in all that they do. With four faculties and countless programs to choose from, there are opportunities for everyone. Suppose you are a hardworking, bright student with the intent and desire to impact society; know that the Central University of Technology has the same goals in mind and is thus more than ready to support you.
According to their website, their vision statement is as follows: “To be a leading African University of Technology, shaping the future through innovation.” They are also proud of their inclusion and implementation of a decolonised curriculum and reference to Indigenous knowledge; furthermore, they hold the philosophical concept of Ubuntu (I am because you are) as one of their main values. Surely, this is an institution with core beliefs that are there to help you and help South Africa as a whole.
Their four faculties are as follows:
- The Faculty of Health & Environmental Sciences
- The Faculty of Humanities
- The Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment, and Information Technology (IT)
- The Faculty of Management Sciences
The Central University of Technology has a lot to offer, and they are sure they have what you are looking for in your post-secondary studies.
If you are a prospective student of the Central University of Technology, continue reading to learn how to apply for the 2023 Academic year.
How to apply Central University of Technology (CUT)
Applications to the Central University of Technology can be made either offline or online – both options will allow for an easy application process.
To successfully start and submit an online application to CUT, follow these steps:
- Before we begin, please ensure that you have a valid email address that you can access without issue, as it will be required to complete the application process.
- Visit their website, www.cut.ac.za From here, hover over the tab labelled ‘Students’ – a drop-down menu will appear, and at the bottom of this menu will be an option that reads ‘Student Portal’
- Click on the Student Portal
- Click on ‘No’ when asked if you have a student number – the terms and conditions will appear, and you should accept these.
- Now, you can fill out your biographical information; fill these out carefully. It will ask for things like your nationality, date of birth, contact address, and more.
- Continue through the form by following the instructions provided, supplying the necessary and true information with careful consideration – make sure to double-check everything!
- Include all supporting documents as they ask you to provide them
- When you hit ‘Submit Application,’ you will receive an email at the email address provided, and this will include a Student Number that you should note.
- Make sure to hit the final ‘Submit Application’ button to ensure that your application form will be processed.
If you want to apply “offline” or using a traditional hardcopy, follow these steps…
- Visit their website, www.cut.ac.za
- Hover over the ‘Students’ tab and select ‘Prospective Students’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the ‘Go to Applications’ button
- On this page, there will be a menu on the right-hand side – select ‘Request for Application Forms – Postal Services’
- Now, all you need to do is complete the form with accurate and true information and hit submit.
- A form should be emailed out to you within two to three weeks – please be patient!
- All correspondence should be posted to this address:
Central University of Technology, Free State
Private Bag X20539
Republic of South Africa
The application process is designed to be easy, but if for whatever reason you experience issues or hurdles, you can reach out to the Central University of Technology, where they will be more than happy to aid you. They can be reached at email@example.com.
Please note: Late applications will not be accepted.
Please note: The Central University of Technology has a Course Calculator to help you determine which programs you are eligible for. This can be found by going to www.cut.ac.za, then ‘Students.’ When the drop-down menu appears, click on ‘Prospective Students.’ From this page, scroll to the bottom, and you will find a button that is labelled ‘Course Calculator.’ Now, you are ready to use this tool to determine which courses and programs you are eligible to apply for.
Now, let’s get into what requirements you need to meet in order to qualify for a successful application.
Central University of Technology (CUT) Requirements
As an institution with high standards of academic excellence, the Central University of Technology asks its students to fulfil certain requirements. These are as follows:
- You will need to write the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs). This test determines a student’s academic preparedness for post-secondary education. As the NBTs can be booked on a variety of dates, find one that suits you best – however, ensure that you write them at your earliest convenience to ensure that you receive your results in time. To learn more about the test and how to book your time slot, visit https://www.nbt.ac.za/. Applications for the NBTs open on Thursday, April 1st. Please note: your NBT results are valid for three years.
- You must also calculate your APS (Admissions Point Score)
- A copy of your Grade 11 and Grade 12 results will also be needed.
We’ll get into the specific requirements later, but for now, let’s take a look at application dates and where to find them.
Central University of Technology (CUT) Application dates
According to their website, www.cut.ac.za, the application date is as follows:
- Thursday, April 01st 2022
To find the dates for yourself in the instance that your faculty or program has a different window of time, visit their website and go to ‘Application Process’ to find out more.
Lastly, let’s take a look at the supporting documents you should be ready to supply to the Central University of Technology alongside your application form.
When applying to the Central University of Technology, ensure that you have certified copies of the following documents ready to be submitted:
- Your NBT results
- Your Grade 11 and Grade 12 final examination results
- An official transcript from your secondary school
- South African students will need their ID Document number, while International students will need to provide a valid passport number
- Specific faculties and programs may require you to write a Selection test – to learn if this is the case, visit their website and go to the faculty that is applicable to you by clicking on the ‘Faculties’ tab
Please note: When supplying supporting documents, never send the original copies. Instead, carefully scan clear and legible images of certified copies. In most cases, these will need to be submitted as JPEG or PDF files.
As a reminder, you will need to have an email address that you can check in order to receive and view your student number once your application has been submitted.
Studying at the Central University of Technology is a privilege and will definitely require hard work. However, it is an institution that is more than ready and equipped to help its students along in their post-secondary academic journeys. Their four faculties have a lot to offer, with professors and staff who are passionate about learning – their passion allows them to cultivate a learning environment within which all students will want to learn and expand on their knowledge, experience, and skills. At the Central University of Technology, you will be armed with the skills needed to succeed in life, both academically and professionally.
Again, their vision statement is something all prospective students should reflect on: “To be a leading African University of Technology, shaping the future through innovation.” Shaping the future is no small task, and CUT takes this very seriously – it is something they accomplish by “thinking beyond.” By “thinking beyond,” this means that they are ready and capable of pushing the boundaries that are otherwise set in place, armed with the knowledge that innovation and positive impacts on society are only possible when steps are taken in the right direction, using all the resources possible.
Read Also: CUT Application Status And Prospectus
If you are a prospective student of the Central University of Technology, know that you are applying to a school that will help shape you into the person you need to be, and thus, will shape the future.
Good luck with your applications!