Coming from humble beginnings, the University of Pretoria is now a hub of innovation, community, and growth. Located in South Africa’s beautiful capital city, this is an institution that has never lost sight of its goals and values, which were established in 1908, but this does not mean they have not progressed and grown. In fact, they are not only now amongst the top schools in the country but are amongst the top 1.9% worldwide. Seeing as they had first started out with only four professors and thirty-two students in a house called Kya Rosa, their growth is immense and more than impressive.
Today, according to their statistics, they have over 267000 alumni, out of whom 93% are hired or are completing further studies six months after graduating. With almost 1400 programs of study and a pass rate amongst undergraduates of 83.5%, the University of Pretoria is a school where everyone can find a place and is surely a place that fosters lifelong learning. They outline their vision as such: “to create a space for quality education and for new ideas to flourish… to look forward, provide the best possible education for our students, and encourage them to go on to do great things…
It is a story of ongoing positive development, dedication to excellence, and striving to reach our goals with zeal, passion and perseverance.” However, their official vision statement encapsulates even more: “to be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge, and making a difference locally and globally.” When looking at their statistics and ranking, one could say that they have achieved all of this very well, and even more.
At the University of Pretoria, there are nine different faculties to choose from and even more programs of study. The faculties can be outlined as such:
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment, and Information Technology
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
With such a wide variety, prospective students should know that they will surely find a place for themselves within the University of Pretoria, and it is an institution that would be more than ready to welcome them.
In order to learn how to apply to be a student at this university, continue reading!
How to apply:
The University of Pretoria has designed its application process as one that is easy to navigate. At this institution, all applications are submitted online, meaning there is no “traditional” application or hardcopy.
Please note: There is a non-refundable fee that comes with an application. This fee is R300.
To successfully apply online, prospective students should complete the following steps:
- First of all, you must ensure that you have a stable internet connection so the application process can run smoothly
- Once this is ensured, you must also have an email address that you can provide – this is where you will receive updates, so make sure to check this frequently once you have submitted your application!
- Then, all you need to do is fill out the application form and all its required fields with the correct and true information – they will also ask for some supporting documents, so do ensure you have copies of these on hand and that your images to upload are clear
- Once you submit the application, you will receive a Student Number (EMPLID) which is unique to you; this will be sent to your email address and can be viewed as a sort of confirmation of your application – however, this does not mean you’ve been accepted just yet!
That’s all! Easy, isn’t it? All you need to do is follow the instructions and provide the right documents in support of your application, and it should all go smoothly from here. However, if you have more questions or enquiries at any time during the application process, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 012 420 3111 – they have an “open door” policy, so rest assured, they are more than happy to help you with any concerns you may have.
If you want to learn of the requirements to apply in order to ensure you are eligible for registration, keep reading ahead.
In order to be a student at the University of Pretoria, you are asked to ensure that you have met and fulfilled the following requirements:
- All students applying to the University of Pretoria need to have written the National Benchmarks Test (NBTs).
- Are you unsure as to what the NBTs are? In short, this is a test that accurately measures your academic preparedness for post-secondary education. The test can be booked at www.nbt.ac.za. Please note that there are several different dates to choose from. Choose one at your convenience but do ensure you write them well in advance to the university’s application closing date. For the NBTs, the applications open on Thursday, April 1st - ADVERTISEMENT -
We’ll talk more about what specific documents you need to have in support of your application later on, but for now, let’s learn about where to find the application dates – read ahead!
For the 2022 Academic year at the University of Pretoria, applications open on May 1st, 2021.
It is important to note that different faculties have different application closing dates, so prospective students need to ensure they know where to find them and to keep them marked on your calendar! According to the University of Pretoria’s website (www.up.ac.za), they will not be accepting any late applications.
Now, regarding application closing dates, you must be wondering – where do I find these? Well, let us tell you! Follow these steps to find your faculty of choice’s dates:
- Visit www.up.ac.za
- From here, you want to find the ‘Study’ tab – it’s located at the top of the page.
- Next, from the drop-down menu which appears, click on ‘Apply’
- Then, you will find a page with several options – close to the top will be a tab that reads ‘Closing Dates’
- Click on this, and you will find the information pertaining to your faculty of choice and what their closing dates are for the 2022 Academic year.
- Markdown on your calendar the appropriate dates and ensure that you will be ready to secure your spot when the time comes!
Easy, wasn’t it? You’ll have no trouble at all submitting your application.
Now, to learn of the specific documents, you will be asked to provide at the time of application submissions, continue reading.
The University of Pretoria asks its students to provide certain documents when submitting applications. To ensure there are no delays or issues with your application, take note of the following information:
- You must submit your final results from both Grade 11 and Grade 12 – if you are a student who has just entered Grade 12 and is applying early, that’s great! Just ensure that alongside your Grade 11 results, you continue to submit your Grade 12 results as you receive them, so the University of Pretoria has them at the ready.
Alongside this, prospective students are asked to submit:
- Their NBT results
- Proof of payment for the application – check your email!
- A National Senior Certificate, certified by Umalusi
- For South African students, a copy of your valid ID Document. For International students, a copy of your valid passport.
Please note: Depending on the faculty and program that is being applied to, the prospective student will be asked to supply differing forms of supporting documents. To learn if this is the case, you can check at: www.up.ac.za. You can also reach out to email@example.com, where they are ready to address your questions and concerns.
Please note: Prospective students are asked to regularly check their emails as well as their application status. The latter can be done by visiting www.up.ac.za > Study > Apply > Online Application Status
For individuals who are considering applying to the University of Pretoria, keep in mind that this is a school that is internationally-recognised for being amongst the best – it is paving the way in South Africa and is helping to shape leaders both within the country and across the world. At this institution, you will learn in everything you do – and even more so, you will learn how to cultivate a lifelong love of learning, something which will surely take you far. Again, this school outlines its vision statement as such: “to be a leading research‐intensive university in Africa, recognised internationally for its quality, relevance and impact, as also for developing people, creating knowledge, and making a difference locally and globally.” Looking at the statistics, this is something the University of Pretoria has done and continues to do. They are innovative, they are dedicated, they are diverse, and they are more than ready to welcome you to the school.
Good luck with your applications!