All you need to know about how to access Unisa Student Portal(myUnisa) and myLife Email
The University of South Africa (Unisa) is the biggest open distance learning university in South Africa. Unisa was initially called the University of the Cape of Good Hope and was founded in 1873. Unisa started with distance learning in 1946 and was the only university to offer education to anybody regardless of their race. Unisa offers short courses, diplomas and degrees, and there are close to 400,000 students.
Unisa Student Portal
Unisa has a student portal called myUnisa. Everything is done through this portal. Registration is done through myUnisa, and all assignments are done through the portal as well. Exams are usually done at a venue; however, there have been online exams in recent times. All information about exams is on myUnisa, including exam dates, exam fees, as well as some exam tips, and more.
How to register for myUnisa
- Go to the myUnisa home page.
- Click on Claim Unisa Login.
- Enter your student number – you will have already been assigned a student number.
- Complete your personal information.
- Read and acknowledge each guideline.
- You will receive an email address along with a password. This password is for myUnisa as well as your myLife email account.
Once you are logged into myUnisa, you will have two tabs to choose from. The one is myModules, and the other is myAdmin. You will also be able to log into your myLife email account from this page.
Under myModules, you will have access to all the modules that you registered for. You will have access to announcements from your lecturers, have access to your study material, be able to participate in discussion forums, as well as submit your assignments. You will also have access to your Tutorial Letter, as well as past exam papers and study guides. On the left-hand side of the myModules page, there is a site navigation block. This includes a calendar that will have important dates on it, such as when your assignments are due and when your exams are. Clicking on ‘Sites’ in the top right-hand corner will display all the modules that you are registered for.
Your Tutorial Letter is the most important document. It contains an overview of your course and assignment information and all the information you need to pass your course.
The Discussion Forum is there for you to communicate with your lecturer and fellow students and submit discussion forum assignments.
Under myAdmin, you have access to your academic record and can change your personal details. You can apply for the tutorial classes that Unisa offers. You can also make changes to your registration by adding more modules or deleting modules. You will be able to track the study material sent to you, access your study fees and get quotations, access your exam timetable and results, and change your password.
Submitting Assignments on myUnisa
- Go to myAdmin.
- Click on Assessment Admin and then Submit Assignments.
- You will then see a table that shows a list of all the assignments for all the modules you are registered for.
- This table will show what type of assignments need to be submitted, along with when they are due.
- Look for the assignment that you would like to submit, and click on Submit.
- When completing a multiple-choice question assignment, you will get a screen that pops up and asks you to input the number of questions. This is found in your Tutorial Letter.
- Click Continue.
- The answer sheet will pop up.
- Complete your answers, and click Continue.
- In the next step, verify your answers and click Continue.
- For written assignments, use Microsoft Word or a similar application. Prepare the assignment, and save it in PDF format.
- When submitting the assignment, a screen will pop up, and it will ask you to choose the file you want to upload.
- Choose the file format, which will be PDF.
- Click continue.
- Verify your assignment information on the next pop-up screen, and click Continue.
- Once your assignment has been submitted, take note of your reference number and then click OK to finalise the submission.
myLife is Unisa’s email system. You can access myLife either by going directly to the site or clicking on the myUnisa homepage link. You will log in with the email address and password that you received when registering for myUnisa. Your email address will be your ‘studentnumber’@mylife.unisa.ac.za (replace ‘student number’ with your student number). If you log in without any issues, then the email screen will appear.