Located in the beautiful and sprawling “City of Gold,” Johannesburg, the University of the Witwatersrand (commonly referred to as Wits or Wits University) is an internationally recognised institution for academic standards excellence, which are upheld in everything they do. With five campuses and over 40 000 students, this is a place where you will be presented with countless opportunities and the skills needed to succeed both academically and professionally. As a university with a rich and complex history, it is a place with many firsts: it was the first in South Africa to have a nuclear accelerator, to study early Afrikaans, to have a computer. The list goes on and on; each first is just as impressive as the last. Clearly, Wits University is well equipped to continue breaking records and making waves. It is an institution that will help to refine your skills and talents for you to add your
As a school of firsts and academic excellence, they also hold some very high standards and beliefs. Their vision statement is outlined as such: “The University of the Witwatersrand aspires to be a leading world-class research-intensive university firmly embedded among international top league universities by 2022.” Next, here is a notable excerpt from their mission statement: “As an institution built on principles of intellectual excellence, we are committed to providing high-quality, internationally competitive education, founded on high academic standards, cutting-edge research, public engagement, and productive partnerships with leading institutions throughout the world.”
At the University of the Witwatersrand, there are five faculties, thirty-three schools, from which there is a course offering with over 3000 options. The faculties are as follows:
- The Faculty of Commerce, Law, and Management
- The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- The Faculty of Health Sciences
- The Faculty of Humanities
- The Faculty of Science
Wits University has a place for everyone with such a wide offering that encompasses so many future career paths and learning opportunities.
To learn more about how to apply to the University of the Witwatersrand, continue reading ahead!
How to apply:
Students looking to apply to post-secondary studies already have enough to worry about as is, and the University of the Witwatersrand knows this. So, they have made their application process very accessible and easy to navigate. To submit an online application, all you need to do is follow these steps.
- Visit their website, www.wits.ac.za; At the top of the page, you will find a tab that is labelled ‘Study at Wits’
- Click on this, and there will be an option to Apply Online.
- Once you click here, you will be taken to their application portal.
- Make an account and complete the form.
And… that’s all!
Their online application portal is where you would submit application forms and where you would apply for residence if this is what you are planning. Further, the portal contains a Student Profile where you can view and edit your personal information. You will also have access to their financial aid application, and the portal lets you make payments online, as well. In fact, you can also check for final examination grades here! Here’s a quick link to the portal itself, but remember, you have to make an account: https://self-service.wits.ac.za/psc/csprodonl/UW_SELF_SERVICE/SA/c/VC_OA_LOGIN_MENU.VC_OA_LOGIN_FL.GBL
Please note: You will need a valid email address in order to apply.
Further, South African applicants are required to pay a fee of R100 upon application. Non-South African students are required to pay a fee of R700.
Keep in mind that it is best to submit your applications as soon as possible.
Now, let’s get into the requirements you need to ensure you fulfil in order to apply to the University of the Witwatersrand successfully.
Prospective students of the University of the Witwatersrand must ensure they meet these requirements upon their application:
- You must calculate your APS (Admission Point Score)
- You will need to have a certified copy of your final grades from Grade 11 and Grade 12. For International students, you will need to submit a certified copy of their most recent grades report card
Please note: Individual faculties and specific programs may require you to write an admissions test or submit additional requirements. In order to learn what these may be, if applicable, you can visit the individual faculty pages. This can be done by visiting their website, www.wits.ac.za, and then going to ‘Faculties and Schools, which can be found towards the top of the page.
Now, if you want to learn about where to find application dates, continue re ading ahead.
In general, applications for specialised programs close towards the end of June, whilst applications for all other programs have their closing date towards the end of September.
Here is a general list of dates to keep in mind:
- Applications for the 2022 Academic year open on April 1st, 2021
- Closing dates for the following programs is June 30th, 2021 Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV
- For all other programs, the closing date is September 30th, 2021
- September 30th is also the last date to submit your residence application, which, again, can be accessed through the Online Student Portal
It can be difficult to keep on top of so many dates, so our recommendation is to mark down all of the applicable dates on your phone or calendar so that you will be reminded of them well in advance. It is best to submit your applications with a reasonable amount of time to spare to ensure that there are no hiccups or issues with the processing of your form and documents, so try and get them in as soon as possible!
Now, why don’t we take a look at what types of supporting documents you will need to submit alongside your application form to Wits University? Continue reading ahead!
There are certain supporting documents all prospective students will need to supply when submitting their applications to the University of the Witwatersrand. Please keep in mind that all supporting documents will need to be submitted as certified copies.
Here is what you will need to submit:
- For South African students, you will need to supply your ID Document number.
- For International students, you are required to have a valid passport from which you will supply the passport number.
- For students who have not yet matriculated, a certified copy of your Grade 11 final grades, stamped by your principal, is required.
- If you have matriculated, submit a certified copy of your matric certificate or foreign school leaving certificate.
- Individual faculties and programs can have specific requirements of what you need to submit, so it is best to check their respective pages – some examples of what you may be required to submit are entry essays, portfolios, auditions, or your NBT results.
- Unsure what the NBTs are? This stands for National Benchmark Tests and is a tool used to measure your academic preparedness for a post-secondary career open on
- The NBTs can be booked on your own time, as they have various dates available to choose from. NBT dates and registrations can be found at https://www.nbt.ac.za/, along with a breakdown of what to expect on the test itself. For 2021, applications for the NBTs open on Thursday, April 1st
- To learn if your faculty or program of choice requires additional documentation, refer to their website: www.wits.ac.za, then ‘Study at Wits,’ followed by ‘Undergraduate’ and then ‘Apply to Wits.’ If you scroll down, you will find a tab labelled ‘Additional forms and selection procedures.’
Please note: All of your supporting documents can be submitted through the Online Application Portal. You will also be able to track your application status from here.
Please note: If you have any additional questions or enquiries while applying, you can reach out to the university. They can be contacted at +27 (0)11 717 1000 for general enquiries, and at
+27 (0)11 717 1888 for admissions related enquiries.
If you are applying to the University of Witwatersrand, keep in mind that you are applying to an institution that exceeds in innovation and academic excellence. It is a school that has a list of great accomplishments, and it is a list that only continues to grow. As per their website, they are a school which “seeks to use all its assets – both human and physical – to serve the intellectual, professional and educational needs of South African society.” With an emphasis on community, leadership, and the cultivation of lifelong learning within individual students, the University of the Witwatersrand is an institution you will be glad to attend. You will be armed with the skills needed to succeed and find a desire to learn when taught in an environment that allows for flourishment and growth.
To all prospective students, good luck with your applications!