VUT Applications: The what, where, when and how.
The Vaal University of Technology (VUT) has a vision of making quality learning available to not only South Africans but citizens from the whole of Africa. This quality learning is created and structured through research and expertise and is driven by innovation and, most importantly, technology. It is, after all, a university of technology. VUT makes its mission to equip young people to make a positive impact in not only South Africa but the entire continent of Africa.
The university aims to bring its vision and mission together in perfect harmony by offering internationally recognised degrees, diplomas and courses in the management, sciences and technology sectors.
VUT has three campuses, with its main campus situated in Vanderbijl Park, Gauteng, South Africa and its other two campuses situated in Secunda, Mpumalanga and Upington, Northern Cape.
When are applications to study at VUT for 2023 open?
Applications for the 2023 academic year are provisionally open in August and provisionally closes at the end of September. To find out when exactly applications open, prospective applicants are urged to visit the VUT website closer to the time as these are just general indications based on the 2022 academic year.
The university has a late applications option as well; however, waiting for the late applications to open is risky as this portal will only be open if the student quota has not been met, meaning the university still has space for more students.
The university urges all applicants to apply sooner rather than later to ensure that their application reaches the intended persons for processing.
Who can apply to study at VUT?
If you have the required merits, based on your matric certificate for the specific qualification you wish to enrol for, then you can most certainly apply. Read the next part of this article to know whether you meet the minimum requirements to be granted admission to study at VUT.
What does VUT require?
It is important to note that each faculty member and sometimes the different qualifications within each faculty have different admission requirements. This is important because applying for a course for which you do not meet the minimum or admission requirements will result in your application being unsuccessful and a waste of money. Therefore, before you apply for any qualification at VUT, be sure to compare their admission requirements with your matric results. You can find their minimum requirements for the 2022 academic year here. This is to give you an idea of the requirements for the 2023 academic year.
For all the offered qualifications, English is a requirement, and in some cases, subjects such as mathematics, physical- and life sciences are required as well.
Disclaimer: just because you meet the admission requirements does not guarantee admission as the university has a certain student number quota that they must meet.
Do you qualify to study at VUT?
Once you have satisfied yourself that you meet all the admission requirements for the qualification you desire to apply for at the university, you can proceed to apply for admission. Suppose you are unsure of whether you qualify to study at VUT. In that case, you can contact them either via email (here is a link to the various email addresses for your specific queries) or you could call their call centre on 0861 861 888, where a university representative will be sure to assist you.
Do you have the right documentation?
In order to apply to study at VUT, you need the following documents:
- The application form is filled in online. You can access it here.
- A certified copy of your ID or birth certificate (for South African applicants)
- A certified copy of your passport (for international applicants)
- A certified copy of your matric certificate or grade 11 results
- Proof of payment of admission fee.
Is the documentation in the correct format?
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, VUT does not allow hard-copy, physical applications; therefore, you would need to ensure that the documents you need in order to apply are in the correct format:
- All documents are to be in black and white; no colour documents may be submitted
- All documents are to be submitted in either one of the following formats: Image (JPEG) word document (.DOC) or Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Applicants are to ensure that these documents are scanned and named individually and are not part of one document.
Now you can apply to study at VUT, but how?
As mentioned above, the COVID-19 restrictions and regulations have caused the university to close physical applications, and VUT is now only allowing online applications. As the applications are currently closed, you can only access the online applications portal once applications have re-opened for the 2023 academic year. The link to this portal is here.
It is important to note that not all campuses have the same qualifications; therefore, you would need to be certain of which qualification you are applying for and whether the campus you want to study offers this qualification.
How much does it cost?
The application fee is included in the application form and changes each year. For the 2022 year applications, the admission fee was R120.00. Applicants should keep a copy of their proof of payment.
It is important to note that this application fee is non-refundable. Whether your application was unsuccessful or you failed to register with your successful application.
What courses does VUT offer?
VUT has four faculties aimed at producing entrepreneurial graduates with a drive for change and the knowledge of how to implement it.
These faculties are:
- Faculty of Applied and Computer Sciences – whose main focus is on information technology, health sciences and natural sciences such as chemistry. Visit the faculty website here for a detailed look at what specific courses it offers.
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology – whose main focus is on engineering, from mechanical and chemical to civil and electronic. Visit the faculty website here for a detailed look at what specific courses it offers.
- Faculty of Human Sciences – whose main focus is on education, hospitality and tourism, legal sciences and visual arts and design. Visit the faculty website here for a detailed look at what specific courses it offers.
- Faculty of Management Sciences – whose main focus is on management in areas such as logistics, marketing, sport and human resources. Visit the faculty website here for a detailed look at what specific courses it offers.
VUT offers under- and postgraduate degrees, diplomas, advanced diplomas, courses and postgraduate courses through each of these faculties.
While most of these faculties are run from the Vanderbijl Park Campus, there are a number of courses that are also (or solely) administered from the Secunda or Upington campuses.
The Secunda campus offers courses and diplomas such as Safety Management (which so happens to be the only safety management course in South Africa) and various engineering diplomas. Whereas the Upington Campus offers courses and diplomas such as Internal Auditing, Tourism Marketing and various Management diplomas.
Also Read: VUT ITS Student Portal and Blackboard
What is the status of your VUT application?
The university will communicate with you in written format via the VUT portal (accessible here) whether your application was successful or not.