Have you ever wanted to study in a place where elephants, lions, and baboons are your neighbors, and a magnificent canyon offering some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable is in your backyard? Mbombela, South Africa, is where you will find the University of Mpumalanga situated in an area where nature left many exclamation marks in the form of regions that astonish and enchant.
The University is close to The Kruger National Park, one of Africa’s largest game reserves. Its many wild animals include rhinos, buffalos, elephants, lions, leopards, and many more. Many other species of mammals have also found a home here, as have many bird species.
It is also close to the largest “green” canyon on earth, the Blyde River Canyon. Along the tranquil Blyde River’s waters, this canyon is an excellent example of what natural African beauty really is all about. It is, on average, about 750 meters deep.
When you set foot in this part of the world, you have rock below your feet that formed 2 800 million years ago. Many millions of years later, a system of caves formed inside the old rock formation. Today the caves stretch underground for 30 kilometers, but only about 600 meters are accessible for visitors. Nevertheless, the Sudwala Caves attract thousands of tourists every year.
If you want to feel like you can see forever, then take a look through “God’s Window.” It is not far from the university and offers stunning views of the Lowveld-area 900 meters below.
The University of Mpumalanga is a very young university, established in 2014 when it started with 140 students. Since then that number has grown to 1 400. The University has two academic campuses. One in Mbombela and the other in Siyabuswa.
How to Apply Manually
Applications must be on the prescribed forms and reach the University before the closing date. Forms can be obtained electronically from the two UMP Campuses and sites of delivery.
- Mbombela Campus
Physical Address: Cnr R40 and D725 Roads
- Siyabuswa Campus
Physical Address: Bheki Mfundo Drive
Send completed forms by email to:
Posted/Sent by courier to:
UMP Mbombela Campus
C/r R40 and D725 Roads
Private Bag X11283
Deliver by hand to:
Any campus or to a delivery site on the University.
Front Desk:013 002 0800
Inquiries:013 002 0810
How to Apply Online
Go to https://www.ump.ac.za. Choose student portal.
- Choose new application.
- Now you have to fill in your biographical details. Save to generate a pin code and student number. Both of these are necessary to continue with your application.
- Once you have done this, enter the student number.
- Click on applications.
- and then on view application rules.
- and on I accept.
- The Next step-option will take you to the next step.
- Upload the scanned documents. These should be certified copies of your ID, results, and proof of payment (R150). You will find the banking details under application rules step one.
- Choose upload document.
- Then select your scanned document and click on save.
- Choose next step.
- Find the grey radio buttons to the right of next on each block to indicate the subject.
- Select next step.
- Choose the school from the appropriate radio button.
- If you had enrolled in another institution before, tell the system the details if it asks you, then save and go to the next step.
- Type the name of the program for which you wish to enroll and click search.
- Select the study period, for example, the study year and your preference (i.e., 1 for the first of the choices; 2 for the second, etc.). Click on save and continue.
- Check if your biographical information is valid. Make sure that all your documents are on display, and click on save.
- If you want to make changes to the communication details, choose the communication type.
- Look through the programs.
- After you are finished, check your application status at the University of Mpumalanga online application System.
- The outcome for applications may take 4 to 6 weeks after the closing date.
The University is also a shining example of what can be achieved by lecturers who care.
Take note that on the site https://www.ump.ac.za/ there is a button with the caption NFSAS. This option is for use by applicants who want to apply for financial aid.
Funding by NSFAS covers the cost of tuition and registration. Allowances are also included for learning materials, food, accommodation, personal care, and transport for students who find it hard to cover these costs.
- If you are interested, create an account by clicking on the register tab.
- You will need the following to complete your application: your cell phone number or email address.
- Click on Apply and answer all of the questions.
- Now upload all the necessary supporting documents.
- Then accept all terms and conditions, and then you can submit.
- Your application reference number will be on the screen. This reference number will also be sent to the cell-phone number and email address as provided.
- Copy of your ID or birth certificate.
- Copies of your IDs of parents, guardian, or spouse.
- Your proof of income or latest IRP5 if applicable.
- Proof of income for your parents, guardian, or spouse
- If you are a Sassa grant recipient, you do not have to provide any proof of income.
For applicants with undergraduate qualifications:
April 1 to November 30, 2021,
For students with Honors degrees and postgraduate diplomas: From April 11 – December 15, For those with Masters and doctoral qualifications: The window for application is open from April 1 to November 6.
Mpumalanga University offers several diploma, advanced diploma and degree courses in subjects such as
- Resource Management
- Developmental Studies
- Nature Conservation
- Hospitality Management
- Developmental Studies
- Information and Communication Technology
Your admission to the University of Mpumalanga will depend on whether you meet the qualification requirements you want to obtain. Different study fields have different requirements.
Requirements: Diploma in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
The diploma in information and communication is a diverse study field. It covers application development and provides secure online platforms, analyzing business processes, storing and retrieving data, and many more. This course aims to produce quality graduates who can offer solutions to local and national problems and international economies. Students must have outstanding communication skills. They should be able to work independently and have the ability to think logically.
All applicants must:
- have passed the national senior certificate
- Have an Admission Point Score of 26,
- Have an English level proficiency of four and a mathematics proficiency level of at least four.
If you want to apply for the diploma in plant production, on the other hand, you have to be hardworking and have a strong interest in both entrepreneurship and agriculture.
You must have passed the national senior certificate and have
- A minimum admission point score of 25 if you apply with mathematics or 26 with mathematical literacy.
- English at level four
- Mathematics or Mathematical literacy level four
- And agriculture level four.
To name a few.
You will find the complete list of requirements for application to the different programs on